Top Five Things to Look for When Hiring a Jewellery Appraiser/Gemologist
Every look is incomplete without a dazzling piece of jewellery. Jewellery takes your style statement a notch higher whether it’s formal look or casual. To help you find the perfect piece of jewellery regarding the quality or learn the value of a piece you already own, you may require the services of an appraiser or gemologist.
Gemologists are skilled at appraising precious stones and diamonds. They provide a written professional opinion about the authenticity, quality, design and estimate value of a precious stone or piece of jewellery. Gemologists use highly professional equipment such as HD microscopes, polariscopes, and refractometers to give accurate appraisals of jewels.
If you’re looking to appraise the value of a piece of jewellery for insurance purposes or cross-border declaration, it’s necessary to hire a professional gemologist. A gemologist will confirm the quality and value of your jewellery and identify the stones and authenticity of the metal.
To help you find an experienced gemologist to appraise your jewellery, we’ve compiled a list of top five things to look for when hiring a gemologist.
- GIA certification. Your gemologist should be certified by the GIA. A GIA Certification guarantees that the appraisal is accurate regarding colour, clarity, cut and carat weight. It will also ensure you that the product has gone through the official grading process set by GIA.
- Flat fee structure. Appraisal fees should not be determined by the value of a piece of jewellery. Hire a gemologist who follows a flat-fee structure and does not charge a percentage from the total value of the item.
- Open environment. The appraisal process should be transparent and explained clearly to you. A professional gemologist will be willing to allow you to be present while the item is undergoing a grading process.
- True independence. For an unbiased appraisal, hire a gemologist who is not affiliated or employed with any other jewellery retailer. It will also confirm that the appraisals are given independently and are not influenced by other retailers they are working for.
- Qualified gemologist who performs appraisals for insurance companies. An insurance company that trusts an appraiser is a good indicator of an honest and skilled professional. Choose an appraiser who is qualified to perform appraisals for insurance companies.
If you’re looking for a jewellery appraisal from a GIA-certified gemologist in Toronto, Ontario or the surrounding areas, contact the Canadian Gemological Identification Labs.
Canadian Gemological Identification Labs offers prompt and reliable appraisal services. To best identify loose stones or jewellery, CGIDLABS uses their extensive knowledge and state-of-the-art machinery. They also provide expert advice on precious metal investing and perform jewellery repairs. The goal of CGIL is not only to accurately identify and evaluate unknown gemstones and check for their many possible treatments, but also to help make the entire jewellery buying process more informative and stress-free.